Monday, February 11, 2008

Psalm 139

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

I have read this many times, today, and many before. Knowing this was one of my mothers favorite chapters, I cannot help but read it over and over. I know that this Psalm gave her strength and comfort.

While we cannot understand why God would allows such imperfections, we know it serves a greater purpose. I cannot help but wonder, how many times my mother called upon God to remove her tumor, something He knew about when He created her. I wonder if that is why she loved this psalm so much, comforting her, and reassuring her that it is a part of God's will.

While she asked God to remove it, she didnt stop loving God, she didnt stop God from working in her life. She didnt put His plans on hold, she continued on following His outline for her life. This is how she became Christ-like.

Christ knew He was going to die, He knew that was a part of God's plan. Christ still cried out to the Father, asking Him if there was any other way.

Mark 14:36 "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

It is through our weakness, we are made strong. Its when we give up our control, that God can live through us.


-Layne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Layne, there's so much wisdom in what you wrote, both God's, of course, and that which He has given you.

I can see why your mother loved that Psalm so much. It's always been one of my favorites, too. Lately when I think of Sherry, which is often, I remember the song "Dancing With the Angels". You're probably familiar with it, I know, but it has taken on so much more meaning lately, especially the following:

"You're dancing with the angels
Walking in new life
You're dancing with the angels
Heaven fills your eyes
Now that you're dancing with the angels

You had love for your family
Love for all people
Love for the Father, and Son
Your heart will be heard
In your unspoken words
Through generations to come
There is so much that I don't understand
But I know

Bridge:

We're only here for such a short time
So I'm gonna stand up
Shout out
And sing Hallelujah
For one day, I’ll see you again, and you’ll be
Dancing with the angels,
Dancing with the angels..."

I'll always remember you dancing with your mother at your wedding, Layne. It was a precious moment that she had longed for, for so many years. She's saving another dance for you now, at another wedding feast. You'll be surrounded by angels, and dancing with one called Mom. All who love you both so much, look forward to that day.

'Love you, Layne - Donna (Mom2)